Dear Brothers and Sisters in Solidarity,
We are looking forward to 2020 as an exciting year where we will be advancing the cause of adjuncts here at Montclair.
First, the adjunct contract was ratified by a 99% vote in favor. The contract can be seen on the Council of New Jersey State College Locals webpage at www.cnjscl.org Thank you all for voting.
Second, recently we were awarded a grant from AFTNJ for a student intern who would be a liaison between the union locals and student body. We are sharing this intern with Local 1904. The role of this intern is to:
- Generate student involvement in union sponsored events such as solidarity walks or rallies.
- Generate union involvement in student sponsored events such as voter registration and other civic engagement events.
- Develop a student team to assist training of potential future interns.
- Develop relationships with student government.
- Enlist the assistance of the campus newspaper, The Montclarion.
- Assist in weekly pop-up information tables around campus that enhance student engagement and member engagement.
- Distribute Union communication/announcements to campus newspapers and other publications and directly to membership.
- Assist with social media campaigns.
We are very excited to be working with our sister union of full time professors, Local 1904. Our intern has already met with us, introduced us to a second assistant intern, and begun his outreach to the student body.
Third, we are excited that our state legislature has passed an Adjunct Bill of Rights emphasizing such important issues as equal pay for equal work, respect as professionals, voluntary inclusion in shared governance with voting rights, participation in professional development opportunities, the ability to attend conferences without financial penalty or risk to future employment , auditing classes without tuition or fee charges (given available class space), and access to unemployment benefits. This provides our local with the road map for what we hope to achieve over the next few years.
Have a wonderful semester! And remember: Local 6025 we’ve got your backs!
Mary Monahan Wallace, President